Monday, May 14, 2012

Investors, it's time to face the truth



I have been in the investment business for more than 30 years now, so I have grown accustomed to seeing lunacy, naiveté and just plain stupidity more often than one would think possible, given that investing is supposed to be about being smart.

It seems extraordinarily obvious to me that the economy is, in essence, broken because of the stock and housing bubbles we have experienced, and that the Federal Reserve is trapped. It also seems clear that at some point we will have a funding crisis (bond yields will leap and/or the dollar will tank) due to excessive government borrowing. (Click here for more on this funding crisis.)

However, that's not going to occur until certain attitudes shift, so I can see why this is taking some time to unfold. What I cannot understand is how folks don't recognize the fact that, since the economy has been unable to create jobs for three years now, it isn't going to start magically generating them now.

Nor do I understand why there is such denial about inflation. The everyday cost of living has been increasing steadily, and at an increasing rate. Just because house prices have collapsed and certain products that folks buy, especially those heavily laden with technology, are cheaper does not change the fact that we are experiencing inflation, and that the environment is really one of stagflation. It is obvious, as are the consequences.

Nevertheless, to a large degree in the investment community, Goldilocks rules.

Déjà eww

The mindset seemed familiar to me, and about a week ago I was thinking of past moments in time where the obvious was there for all to see but maddeningly few seemed to see it. What popped into my head was the spike in first payment defaults leading up to the housing crisis. When that started occurring, as early as August 2006, it spelled the end of the housing bubble (while at the same time proving it was bubble behavior, since people were missing their first payments).

I actually decided to search my subscription site, www.fleckensteincapi​tal.com, for references to "first payment." Lo and behold, one of the headlines that popped up was "Goldilocksters see oil prices as bullish, up or down," which ran on Jan. 11, 2007 (that is, more than a year before Bear Stearns' liquidity problems came to light). Here are some key excerpts:

"I wanted to share an email from my insider friend in the subprime arena, whom I've quoted so liberally. It's sort of incongruous to read his thoughts on a day when subprime and other financials were going wild, but this (first payment defaults) is a problem that I guess won't matter until the day it matters -- and then boy is it going to matter.


MORE AT HEADING ABOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment